Acupuncture is one important component of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). The basic theory of acupuncture is based on energy flow, also known as Qi, throughout the body. Qi is essential for our health. Now, it has been used worldwide to treat various disorders including chronic kidney disease.
Acupuncture consists of acupuncture and moxibustion. Acupuncture is one treatment that uses solid needle to slice various acupuncture points, for treating corresponding diseases. Moxibustion is one therapy that uses ai or ai wick to burn in points, so as to regulate patients’ blood and Qi.
Even though acupuncture can’t cure kidney disease alone, it does can assist other medical therapies to improve kidney disease patients’ kidney function and boost their overall health condition. Receiving acupuncture regularly, renal patients can get the following benefits:
- Improve blood circulation: Acupuncture can dredge meridian and help remove toxins from the body, in order to cleanse blood and regulate blood circulation. For people with kidney disease, normal blood circulation can transport enough blood and oxygen to damaged kidney cells. Finally, it can prevent further kidney damage.
- Boost immune system: According to TCM, yin and yang are two essential factors to maintain the body balance. If this balance is disturbed, people’s inner body system will become abnormal. Through regulating yin and yang, acupuncture is able to help boost renal patients’ immune system.
- Ease patients’ symptoms and discomforts: For people with kidney disease, skin itching, finger numbness, muscle cramps, headache and back pain are common complaints. If you have one or more of these symptoms, acupuncture may be a good remedy.
Although acupuncture can help treat kidney disease and have few side effects, it doesn’t mean all renal patients can take this therapy. If you have the following conditions, you may be recommended to avoid it.
- The person is too tired or hungry, or have serious mental stress
- Some points of pregnant women can be sliced
- Patients who have bleeding disease
- Some changes in skin such as infections, ulcers, scarring or tumor
Besides, some other serious conditions also require patients to stay away from acupuncture. To make sure you can take this treatment safely, you had better consult your doctor or the doctor online firstly before taking this therapy.